Skip to Main Content
Bedload transport rates in a step-pool channel at near-bankfull flowsAuthor(s): Daniel A. Marion
Source: In: Proceedings of the Seventh Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference: 2001 March 25-29; Reno, NV. [No place of publication]: Subcommittee on Sedimentation: III-32 to III-39. Volume I.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (197 KB)
DescriptionThis paper examines unit bedload transport rates (BTRs) at near-bankfull flows within a small step-pool channel in the Ouachita Mountains of central Arkansas. For this study, five runoff events with peak discharges between 0.25 and 1.34 cms (1.0- to 1.6-yr recurrence intervals) were produced in a natural channel using a streamflow simulation system. BTRs range from 3.5x10-6 to 3.3x10-2 kg/sec/m during these events and are somewhat lower in magnitude than those reported previously for step-pool channels. BTR behavior is best modeled using discharge, but the relationship differs significantly between events with peak flows less than 0.61 cms (1.1 yr) and those greater than 0.88 cms, (1.2 yr). The smaller events exhibit higher BTRs than the larger events at flows from 0.11 to 0.35 cms, but similar rates at higher discharges. Slope coefficients are within the range Ryan and Troendle (1996) determined for two step-pool sites in Colorado. BTRs show similar positive relationships to both shear stress and stream power, but these relationships are weaker than the one with discharge. These results support the idea that sediment availability limits BTRs in step-pool channels.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarion, Daniel A. 2001. Bedload transport rates in a step-pool channel at near-bankfull flows. In: Proceedings of the Seventh Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference: 2001 March 25-29; Reno, NV. [No place of publication]: Subcommittee on Sedimentation: III-32 to III-39. Volume I.
- Fine-grained bed patch response to near-bankfull flows in a step-pool channel
- Equal-mobility bed load transport in a small, step-pool channel in the Ouachita Mountains
- Transport of bedload sediment and channel morphology of a southeast Alaska stream.
XML: View XML