Skip to Main Content
Interactive Simulation of Hardwood Log Veneer Slicing Using CT ImagesAuthor(s): Daniel L Schmoldt; Pei Li; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal. 46(4): 41-47.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (661 KB)
DescriptionVeneer producers must make critical processing decisions based solely on external examination of logs. Unlike sawlog breakdown, however, little research has investigated ways in which veneer logs can best be flitched and sliced for increased value. This gap exists largely due to the variety of ways in which veneer is produced and used and the variety of buyers that purchase the finished product. This report describes a veneering simulator that is able to assist veneer producers in their processing decisions. A user can graphically locate and orient veneering objects (flitch table, flitch, and cutting knife) on log CT images and see the resulting veneer produced. The simulator currently allows the user to perform six different types of veneer slicing. Multiple veneer slices or alternative veneering operations (e.g., flat slicing vs. half-round slicing) can be simultaneously viewed and compared. The application of scanner-based simulation tools can help transform marginal logs into profitable raw material.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchmoldt, Daniel L; Li, Pei; Araman, Philip A. 1996. Interactive Simulation of Hardwood Log Veneer Slicing Using CT Images. Forest Products Journal. 46(4): 41-47.
- A CT-based Simulator for Hardwood Log Veneering
- Machine Vision Systems for Processing Hardwood Lumber and Logs
- Hardwood sawyer trainer
XML: View XML