Skip to Main Content
Non-timber forest products in sustainable forest managementAuthor(s): James L. Chamberlain; A.L. Hammett; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, Southern Forest Science Conference. 10 pp.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (29.84 KB)
DescriptionThe forests of Southern United States are the source of many non-timber forest products (NTFPs). The collection, trade and use of these products have been important to rural economies since Europeans settled in this country. At the same time the plants from which these products originate are crucial to healthy ecosystems. Over the last decade, the market demand and the interest in managing forests for NTFPs has grown tremendously, which has generated concern for the ecological sustainability of forest resources from which they are produced. The health and functioning of the forest ecosystems and the associated rural communities depend on the sustainable management of the NTFP resources. And yet, the scientific knowledge of these products is not well developed. Sustainability and the full range of benefits cannot be realized unless non-timber forest products are included in the scientific management of the forest resources. We examine the status of forest management for non-timber products and discuss issues critical to sustainable management for these products.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChamberlain, James L.; Hammett, A.L.; Araman, Philip A. 2001. Non-timber forest products in sustainable forest management. Proceedings, Southern Forest Science Conference. 10 pp.
- Non-timber forest products in Central Appalachia: market opportunities for rural development (poster abstract)
- Non-timber forest products: alternative multiple-uses for sustainable forest management
- The mangement of national forests of eastern United States for non-timber forest products
XML: View XML