Skip to Main Content
Using hyperdocuments for knowledge management: an encyclopedia of southern appalachian forest ecosystemsAuthor(s): Deborah K. Kennard; H. Michael Rauscher; Daniel L. Schmoldt; Patricia A. Flebbe; J.B. Jordin; W.G. Hubbard; M.C. Covington; N. Rushton
Source: Proceedings, Southern Forest Science Conference. 7 pp.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (185.21 KB)
DescriptionLand managers increasingly need improved access to research knowledge that is thoroughly organized, condensed, and presented in a form that is useful for problem solving. In this paper, we describe the application of hyperdocuments for knowledge management, using an example of a newly developed hypertext encyclopedia on the southern Appalachians. The Encyclopedia of Southern Appalachian Forest Ecosystems (www.iesaf.srs.fed.us) makes research knowledge of southern Appalachians hardwood forests more accessible and more understandable to users. The Encyclopedia synthesizes and integrates the past 65 years of research on southern Appalachian upland ecosystems in a hyperdocument-based encyclopedia system accessible over the Internet. The Encyclopedia is more than a Web site, because it incorporates "intelligent" tools that enhance the use and navigation of the encyclopedia and allow it accommodate users of various skill levels and interests.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKennard, Deborah K.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Schmoldt, Daniel L.; Flebbe, Patricia A.; Jordin, J.B.; Hubbard, W.G.; Covington, M.C.; Rushton, N. 2001. Using hyperdocuments for knowledge management: an encyclopedia of southern appalachian forest ecosystems. Proceedings, Southern Forest Science Conference. 7 pp.
- Using hyperdocuments to manage scientific knowledge: the prototype Encyclopedia of Southern Appalachian Forest Ecosystems
- The encyclopedia of southern Appalachian forest ecosystems: A prototype of an online scientific knowledge management system
- Using web-based technology to deliver scientific knowledge: the Southern Forest Encyclopedia Network.
XML: View XML