Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Soil Water Effects on Blue Oak Seedling EstablishmentAuthor(s): Doria R. Gordon; Kevin J. Rice; Jeffrey M. Welker
Source: In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 54-58
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (287 KB)
DescriptionA field experiment was conducted to examine the effects of soil water availability on blue oak (Quercus douglasii) seedling establishment. Acorns were planted either into cleared plots of 0, 10, 20, or 40 cm diameter. The cleared plots were located in two grazed and one ungrazed site. Half of the plots received drip irrigation in a split plot design. Soil water and plot size, depending on the site, and initial acorn weight and parent tree all influenced oak seedling growth. Survival and height in subsequent growing seasons was dependent on early growth. Soil water availability in the first growing season, therefore, influences both oak seedling establishment and growth in subsequent years.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGordon, Doria R.; Rice, Kevin J.; Welker, Jeffrey M. 1991. Soil Water Effects on Blue Oak Seedling Establishment. In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 54-58
- Intraspecific Phenotypic Variation and Ecological Genetics of Blue Oak (Quercus douglasii Hook. & Am.)
- Effects of Shade on Blue Oak and Coast Live Oak Regeneration in California Annual Grasslands
- Seasonal Growth Patterns of Blue and Valley Oak Seedlings Established on Foothill Rangelands
XML: View XML