Skip to Main Content
Acorn Yield During 1988 and 1989 on California's Central CoastAuthor(s): Sergio L. Garcia; Wayne A. Jensen; William H. Weitkamp; William D. Tietje
Source: In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 161-164
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (928 KB)
DescriptionIn 1988, a study was began to evaluate acorn yield of valley oak (Quercus lobata), coast live oak (Q. agrifolia), and blue oak (Q. douglasii) in three of California's central coast counties: Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and San Benito. The purpose of the study was to examine the degree and variability of acorn production and factors, such as geographic location, individual tree differences, and land-use history, which may contribute to these differences. Data collected during autumn 1988 and 1989 indicate that acorn production was low on the three oak species surveyed; nearly 90 percent of the 266 surveyed trees produced no acorns. Low acorn production in each of the three counties which was surveyed suggests that production may have been quite widespread.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGarcia, Sergio L.; Jensen, Wayne A.; Weitkamp, William H.; Tietje, William D. 1991. Acorn Yield During 1988 and 1989 on California''s Central Coast. In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 161-164
- Effect of Acorn Planting Depth on Depredation, Emergence, and Survival of Valley and Blue Oak
- Blue and Valley Oak Seedling Establishment on California's Hardwood Rangelands
- Arboreal seed removal and insect damage in three California oaks
XML: View XML