Skip to Main Content
Inventory of Commercial Hardwoods in the High SierraAuthor(s): Norman H. Pillsbury; George L. McCaskill
Source: In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 214-220
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (331 KB)
DescriptionA hardwood resources assessment was completed for the Sierra Economic Development District in the north central Sierra Nevada. The assessment included the development of a tree grading system for the major hardwood species in the area, an inventory of the hardwood resources, and recommendations for hardwood management. Hardwood volumes of total wood available for utilization per acre were found to be low for stands classified in the Blue oak-Interior live oak association, moderate in the Black oak - Canyon live oak association, and high in the Madrone association. The volumes by species and grade reveals that madrone stands produce a relatively high amount of merchantable timber, while black oak stands produce moderate levels.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPillsbury, Norman H.; McCaskill George L. 1991. Inventory of Commercial Hardwoods in the High Sierra. In: Standiford, Richard B., tech. coord. 1991. Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management; October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, California. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-126. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 214-220
- Equations for total, wood, and saw-log volume for thirteen California hardwoods.
- Five southern California oaks: identification and postfire management
- Population diversity and evidence of introgression among the black oaks of California
XML: View XML