Skip to Main Content
Forest Service law enforcement officer report: nationwide studyAuthor(s): Deborah J. Chavez; Joanne F. Tynon
Source: Res. Paper PSW-RP-252. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 299 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis study is the first in a series of studies to evaluate perceptions of USDA Forest Service law enforcement personnel of the roles, responsibilities, and issues entailed in their jobs. An email survey was administered to 404 law enforcement officers (LEOs) in national forests across the United States. In all, 294 were completed and returned. In response to the safety of forest visitors many respondents believed that forest visitors are safe from other visitors and are physically safe from site features. The LEOs reported feeling hampered in their jobs, however, by the large size and remoteness of the patrol areas, coupled with a lack of resources (e.g., personnel, equipment, and backup). Key characteristics of successes experienced by LEOs included adequate resources, collaboration, and communication. Nationally, LEOs characterized a successful law enforcement program as one that has sufficient resources, is understood by those engaged in or affected by the program, is staffed by highly qualified individuals, and has good leadership.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChavez, Deborah J.; Tynon, Joanne F. 2007. Forest Service law enforcement officer report: nationwide study. Res. Paper PSW-RP-252. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 299 p
KeywordsCrime and violence, law enforcement, forest visitors, successful management
- Forest Service special agent in charge report: nationwide study
- Forest Service patrol captain and patrol commanders report: nationwide study
- Forest Service National Forest System perceptions of law enforcement and investigations: nationwide study
XML: View XML