Skip to Main Content
The role of fire in Research Natural Areas in the Northern Rockies and Pacific NorthwestAuthor(s): Sarah E. Greene; Angela Evenden
Source: In: Hardy, Colin C.; Arno, Stephen F., eds. The use of fire in forest restoration. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-GTR-341. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. p. 32-33.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (200 B)
DescriptionForest Service Research Natural Areas are established to preserve examples of all significant natural ecosystems for comparison with those influenced andlor managed by humans, to provide educational and research areas for ecological and environmental studies, and to preserve gene pools for typical and rare and endangered species. The Research Natural Area program in the Northern Rockies and Pacific Northwest regions attempts to protect a wide spectrum of terrestrial and aquatic communities in their "natural" state. At least 79 of the 246 established and proposed Research Natural Areas in these regions represent forest and grassland types that have been adapted to frequent fires over the last several hundred to thousands of years.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGreene, Sarah E.; Evenden, Angela. 1996. The role of fire in Research Natural Areas in the Northern Rockies and Pacific Northwest. In: Hardy, Colin C.; Arno, Stephen F., eds. The use of fire in forest restoration. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-GTR-341. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. p. 32-33.
Keywordsfire ecology, fire regimes, forest restoration, Forest Service Research Natural Areas, Northern Rockies, Pacific Northwest
- Suitability of natural areas for representing ecological change in the Pacific Northwest
- Interagency strategy for the Pacific Northwest Natural Areas Network
- Understanding key issues of sustainable wood production in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML