Forest statistics for Southwest Georgia, 1996Author(s): Raymond M. Sheffield; Michael T. Thompson
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–12. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 68 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (308 KB)
DescriptionThis report highlights the principal findings of the seventh forest survey of Southwest Georgia. Field work began in June 1995 and was completed in November 1995. Six previous surveys, completed in 1934, 1951, 1960, 1971, 1981, and 1988 provide statistics for measuring changes and trends over the past 62 years. This report primarily emphasizes the changes and trends since 1988.
Periodic surveys of forest resources are authorized by the Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Research Act of 1978. These surveys are a continuing, nationwide undertaking by the Regional Experiment Stations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. In the Southern United States, these surveys are conducted by the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Research Work Unit at the Southern Research Station, Asheville, NC. The FIA unit operates out of two locations, one in Starkville, MS, and the other in Asheville, NC, and is responsible for inventories of 13 Southern States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The primary objective of these surveys is to periodically inventory and evaluate all forest and related resources. These multiresource data help provide a basis for formulating forest policies and programs and for the orderly development and use of the resources. This report discusses the extent and condition of forest land, associated timber volumes, and rates of timber growth, mortality, and removals.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSheffield, Raymond M.; Thompson, Michael T. 1997. Forest statistics for Southwest Georgia, 1996. Resour. Bull. SRS–12. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 68 p.
- Forest statistics for Central Florida - 1995
- Forest statistics for South Florida, 1995
- Forest statistics for Georgia, 1997
XML: View XML