Skip to Main Content
Hyrdology and water budget for a forested atlantic coastal plain watershed, South CarolinaAuthor(s): Scott V. Harder; Devendra M. Amatya; Timothy J. Callahan; Carl C. Trettin; Jon Hakkila
Source: Journal of The American Water Resources Association: Vol. 43(3): 563-575
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.01 MB)
DescriptionIncreases in timber demand and urban development in the Atlantic Coastal Plain over the past decade have motivated studies on the hydrology, water quality, and sustainable management of coastal plain watersheds. However, studies on baseline water budgets are limited for the low-lying, forested watersheds of the Atlantic Coastal Plain. The purpose of this study was to document the hydrology and a method to quantify the water budget of a first-order forested watershed, WS80, located within the USDA Forest Service Santee Experimental Forest northeast of Charleston, South Carolina. Annual Rainfall for the 2003 and 2004 periods were 1,671 mm (300 mm above normal) and 962 mm (over 400 mm below normal), respectively. Runoff coefficients (outflow as a fraction of total rainfall) for the 2003 and 2004 periods were 0.47 and 0.08, respectively, indicating a wide variability of outflows as affected by antecedent conditions. A spreadsheet-based Thornthwaite monthly water balance model was tested on WS80 using three different potential evapotranspiration estimators [Hamon, Thornthwaite, and Penman-Monteith (P-M)]. The Hamon and P-M-based methods performed reasonably well with average absolute monthly deviations of 12.6 and 13.9 mm, respectively, between the measured and predicted outflows. Estimated closure errors were all within 9% for the 2003, 2004, and seasonal water budgets. These results may have implications on forest management practices and provide necessary baseline or reference information for Atlantic Coastal Plain watersheds.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHarder, Scott V.; Amatya, Devendra M.; Callahan, Timothy J.; Trettin, Carl C.; Hakkila, Jon. 2007. Hyrdology and water budget for a forested atlantic coastal plain watershed, South Carolina. Journal of The American Water Resources Association: Vol. 43(3): 563-575
Keywordsrunoff, hydrologic-modeling, hydrologic-monitoring, thornthwaite water-balance, water table, evapotranspiration
- Hydrology and water budget for a forested atlantic coastal plain watershed, South Carolina
- Modeling the Monthly Water Balance of a First Order Coastal Forested Watershed
- Long-term flow dynamics of three coastal experimental forested watersheds
XML: View XML