Skip to Main Content
Half a century of research - Fort Valley Experimental Forest 1908-1958Author(s): Edward M. Gaines; Elmer W. Shaw
Source: Station Paper 38. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 17 p.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionFifty years ago in 1908, the U. S. Forest Service launched its research program in forest management on the Fort Valley Experimental Forest near Flagstaff, Arizona. This was the first scientific venture of its kind in America - - now the oldest.
From the beginning the chief aim of research here has been to work out better ways of managing ponderosa pine in the Southwest. Already, we have learned much. But to keep pace with the advance of science and industry, we need to know more. For example, in 1953 the pulp industry came to Flagstaff, bringing new opportunities for more intensive forest management. In the broader picture, recent forecasts presented in "Timber Resources for America's Future" indicate that the Nation will need all the wood we can grow. To help meet this rising demand, we must intensify our research and improve our management practices.
The historical background of Fort Valley, highlights of the research results, and the current program are presented in this Golden Anniversary publication.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGaines, Edward M.; Shaw, Elmer W. 1958. Half a century of research - Fort Valley Experimental Forest 1908-1958. Station Paper 38. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 17 p.
KeywordsFort Valley Experimental Forest, Forest Service research, Flagstaff, Arizona, history
- Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008 (P-53)
- Fort Valley Experimental Forest-A Century of Research 1908-2008
- Fort Valley's early scientists: A legacy of distinction (P-53)
XML: View XML