Skip to Main Content
Fire scar mapping in a southern African savannaAuthor(s): Andrew T. Hudak; Bruce H. Brockett; Carol A. Wessman
Source: In: Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium proceedings; 1998 July 6-10; Seattle, WA. Vol. 3: 1608-1610.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.02 MB)
DescriptionMultitemporal principal components analyses (PCAs) of pre- and post-burn Landsat Thematic Mapper images were used to map fire scars in Madikwe Game Reserve (MGR), South Africa. Prior to MGR's inception in 1991, when the land was used for extensive cattle ranching, overgrazing and fire suppression lead to bush encroachment. Fire is currently being used to control bush encroachment. Bands 3, 4, 5, 7 and a NDVI band from both pre- and postburn images were included in both the 1994 and 1996 PCAs. Fire scars comprised the fourth principal component (PC4) in both years. Fire intensities were classified via a density slice of the PC4 data within fire scars. In 1994, fires covered 31% of MGR and in 1996, 56%. In both years, fires were more frequent and intense on soils with lower bush densities (and therefore higher grass fuel loads) than on soils with higher bush densities. These fire scar maps are aiding ongoing fire management efforts in MGR.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHudak, Andrew T.; Brockett, Bruce H.; Wessman, Carol A. 1998. Fire scar mapping in a southern African savanna. In: Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium proceedings; 1998 July 6-10; Seattle, WA. Vol. 3: 1608-1610.
Keywordsfire scar mapping, principal components analyses, PCA, Landsat Thematic Mapper, Madikwe Game Reserve, MGR, South Africa
- Rangeland mismanagement in South Africa: Failure to apply ecological knowledge
- Trends in fire patterns in a southern African savanna under alternative land use practices
- Textural analysis of high resolution imagery to quantify bush encroachment in Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa, 1955-1996
XML: View XML