Skip to Main Content
Smoke monitoring network on 2006 Northern California firesAuthor(s): Brenda Belongie; Suraj Ahuja
Source: In: Butler, Bret W.; Cook, Wayne, comps. The fire environment--innovations, management, and policy; conference proceedings. 26-30 March 2007; Destin, FL. Proceedings RMRS-P-46CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. CD-ROM. p. 385-389
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (650 B)
DescriptionLong-duration fire activity during the 2006 northern California fire season presented an excellent opportunity to create a temporary air-quality/smoke-monitoring network in the complex terrain across northwestern California. The network was established through cooperative interagency coordination of Federal officials, the California Air Resources Board (CARB), and local Air Pollution Control Districts (APCDs). This network addressed concerns over air quality and potential firefighter- and citizen-health issues. Equipment deployed included real time PM2.5 monitors (EBAMs and DataRAM’s) at seven stations. The reported network data were posted daily on the Internet (in the public domain). The archived field-gathered data set will also provide a database for future research and verification of modeled Blue Sky output for particulate concentrations (run by the University of Nevada, Reno). Lessons learned from establishing and supporting such a temporary network will help make future projects more successful. Overall, the network data were well received, especially by local residents.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBelongie, Brenda; Ahuja, Suraj. 2007. Smoke monitoring network on 2006 Northern California fires. In: Butler, Bret W.; Cook, Wayne, comps. The fire environment--innovations, management, and policy; conference proceedings. 26-30 March 2007; Destin, FL. Proceedings RMRS-P-46CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. CD-ROM. p. 385-389
Keywordswildland fire management, air-quality/smoke-monitoring network, northern California
- General Direction of the National Center for Environmental Research and Training (Cenica)
- Forest fires and air quality issues in southern Europe
- Air quality in California forests: current efforts to initiate biomonitoring with lichens.
XML: View XML