Skip to Main Content
Floor foundations: preferences of architects and builders in six Southwestern United States marketsAuthor(s): George B. Harpole; H. Edward Dickerhoof
Source: Res. Paper PSW-RP-74. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest & Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 11 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (654 KB)
DescriptionMail questionnaires and follow-up interviews were used to determine preferences among three types of floor foundations: concrete slab, wood crawl-space, and a new design that combines a low-profile wood floor with underfloor plenum. Crawl-space construction was preferred in the Sacramento and Oakland-Martinez markets; concrete slab was preferred in the Los Angeles, San Diego, and Phoenix markets. Preference was about evenly divided in the Fresno market. More than 60 percent of the respondents would consider the new underfloor plenum design.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHarpole, George B.; Dickerhoof, H. Edward. 1971. Floor foundations: preferences of architects and builders in six Southwestern United States markets. Res. Paper PSW-RP-74. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest & Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 11 p
Keywordsfloor foundations, builder preference, concrete slabs, wood frame with crawl space, wood floor (low-profile), Arizona, California
- Floor foundations: preferences of new home buyers in six Southwestern United States markets
- Moisture in Crawl Spaces
- Market for Hawaii hardwood lumber in new single-family houses on Oahu, Hawaii
XML: View XML