Skip to Main Content
A bank-operated traveling-block cableway for stream discharge and sediment measurementsAuthor(s): James J. Paradiso
Source: General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-44. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 36 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (2.2 MB)
DescriptionStreams often present a challenge for collecting flow and sediment measurements on a year-round basis. Streams that can normally be waded become hazardous during seasonal flows, either endangering hydrographers or precluding data collection completely. A hand-operated cableway permits the accurate and safe collection of discharge and sediment data from the stream bank. This system provides a low-cost, safe alternative to cable cars or operation from bridges during high runoff. This publication describes the construction and use of a cableway system. Included are figures describing parts and dimensions, installation methods, and field operations.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParadiso, James J. 2000. A bank-operated traveling-block cableway for stream discharge and sediment measurements. General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-44. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 36 p.
Keywordsstream discharge measurements, current meter measurements, suspended sediment measurements, bedload measurements, bank-operated cableway
- Constructing temporary sampling platforms for hydrologic studies
- The Geomorphic Road Analysis and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Volume 1: Data Collection Method
- Modeling sediment transport from an off-road vehicle trail stream crossing using WEPP model
XML: View XML