Skip to Main Content
Vegetation resources inventory of southwest Alaska: development and application of an innovative, extensive sampling design.Author(s): Willem W.S. van Hees
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-507. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (363 KB)
DescriptionAn assessment of the vegetation resources of southwest Alaska was made by using an inventory design developed by the Pacific Northwest Research Station. Satellite imagery (LANDSAT MSS), high-altitude aerial photography, and ground sampling were the major components of the design. Estimates of area for all land cover classes in the southwest region were produced. Additionally, more intensive sampling provided data for estimation of timber resources in the forest land component. Field data collection was conducted from 1991 to 1994, and data compilation progressed through 1995.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationvan Hees, Willem W.S. 1999. Vegetation resources inventory of southwest Alaska: development and application of an innovative, extensive sampling design. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-507. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
KeywordsVegetation surveys, forest surveys, timber resources, statistics (forest), Alaska (southwest)
- Processing data from soil assessment surveys with the computer program SOILS.
- Timber resource statistics for the North Coast resource area of California 1994.
- Western juniper in eastern Oregon.
XML: View XML