Skip to Main Content
A description and comparison of selected forest carbon registries: a guide for States considering the development of a forest carbon registryAuthor(s): Jessica Call; Jennifer Hayes
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–107. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 36 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.2 MB)
DescriptionThere is increasing interest in tools for measuring and reducing emissions of carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas. Two tools that have been receiving a lot of attention include carbon markets and carbon registries. Carbon registries are established to record and track net carbon emission levels over time. These registries provide quantifiable and verifiable carbon for trade within a market. This report discusses the benefits and major elements of registries and then describes a selection of existing registries and protocols with forest carbon components. The report focuses on forests because of their carbon storage potential. The purpose of this report is to provide a starting point for any State government or other party considering the development of a carbon registry with a forestry component.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCall, Jessica; Hayes, Jennifer. 2007. A description and comparison of selected forest carbon registries: a guide for States considering the development of a forest carbon registry. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–107. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 36 p.
KeywordsCarbon, forest, markets, registry, sequestration
- Measurement guidelines for the sequestration of forest carbon
- Past and prospective carbon stocks in forests of northern Wisconsin: a report from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Climate Change Response Framework
- A tree biomass and carbon estimation system
XML: View XML