Skip to Main Content
Big and black sagebrush landscapes [Chapter 5]Author(s): Stanley G. Kitchen; E. Durant McArthur
Source: In: Hood, Sharon M.; Miller, Melanie, editors. Fire ecology and management of the major ecosystems of southern Utah. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-202. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 73-95
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.78 MB)
DescriptionPerhaps no plant evokes a common vision of the semi-arid landscapes of western North America as do the sagebrushes. A collective term, sagebrush is applied to shrubby members of the mostly herbaceous genus, Artemisia L. More precisely, the moniker is usually restricted to members of subgenus Tridentatae, a collection of some 20 woody taxa endemic to North America (Beetle 1960; McArthur 1979; McArthur and Plummer 1978). As a group, the Tridentatae are distinguished from other members of the genus by a combination of traits including their woody habit, floral morphology, stem anatomy, plant chemistry, and chromosomal karyotype (McArthur 1979).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKitchen, Stanley G.; McArthur, E. Durant. 2007. Big and black sagebrush landscapes [Chapter 5]. In: Hood, Sharon M.; Miller, Melanie, editors. Fire ecology and management of the major ecosystems of southern Utah. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-202. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 73-95
Keywordsfire regime condition class, disturbance, fire ecology, fuel treatment, sagebrush, Artemisia L., Tridentatae
- Studies of a new hybrid taxon in the Artemisia tridentata (Asteraceae: Anthemideae) complex
- Artemisia L.: sagebrush
- Transcriptome characterization and polymorphism detection between subspecies of big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata)
XML: View XML