Forest inventory, catastrophic events and historic geospatial assessments in the southAuthor(s): Dennis M. Jacobs
Source: In: ASPRS 2007 Annual Conference. Tampa, Florida, May 7-11, 2007. 12 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.45 MB)
DescriptionCatastrophic events are a regular occurrence of disturbance to forestland in the Southern United States. Each major event affects the integrity of the forest inventory database developed and maintained by the Forest Inventory & Analysis Research Work Unit of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. Some of these major disturbances through the years have received an inventory assessment to determine the approximate amount of damage to both the volume and area of the forest resource. These events include ice storms and different intensities of hurricanes. General maps of these events provide levels of potential storm damage to the resource. This paper presents an overview of the history of these mapped assessments and the different methods and levels of effort involved. The rapid assessments occurred within days or weeks after the storm, while the more comprehensive assessments began several months after the storm event and after timber salvage operations were coming to an end.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJacobs, Dennis M. 2007. Forest inventory, catastrophic events and historic geospatial assessments in the south. In: ASPRS 2007 Annual Conference. Tampa, Florida, May 7-11, 2007. 12 p.
- Combining satellite imagery with forest inventory data to assess damage severity following a major blowdown event in northern Minnesota, USA
- February 1994 ice storm: forest resource damage assessment in northern Mississippi
- Integrating remote sensing and forest inventory data for assessing forest blowdown in the boundary waters canoe area wilderness
XML: View XML