Skip to Main Content
Micropropagation of the endangered shrub pondberry (Lindera melissifolia [Walt.] Blume)Author(s): Tracy S. Hawkins; Nathan M. Schiff; Emile s. Gardiner; Theodore Leininger; Margaret S. Devall; A. Dan Wilson; Paul Hamel; Deborah D. McCown; Kristina Connor
Source: HortScience, Vol. 42(2): 407-409
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (355 KB)
DescriptionA micropropagation protocol using shoot cultures is described for Lindera melissifolia, a federally listed endangered shrub endemic to the southeastern United States. Stock plants were harvested from native L. melissifolia populations growing in the lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley. In vitro proliferation was on woody plant medium supplemented with 1 um zeatin. After 6 weeks, zeatin level was increased to 5 um. Treatment of micropropagated shoots with a liquid auxin (2 indole-3-butyric acid : 1 1- naphthalenacetic acid) resulted in a low mean rooting percentage (144%) compared with rooting in the absence of auxins and on a pure peat medium ex vitro, which increased rooting to 280%. Time to rooting was 8 weeks. Plants were acclimatized for 2 weeks, then potted in a 2 peat : 1 perlite medium supplemented with superphosphate, 10N-10P-10K, and Milorganite. Micropropagated L. melissifolia stecklings have been successfully outplanted in both controlled and field studies at the Center for Bottomland Hardwoods Research (Stoneville, Miss.).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHawkins, Tracy S.; Schiff, Nathan M.; Gardiner, Emile s.; Leininger, Theodore; Devall, Margaret S.; Wilson, A. Dan; Hamel, Paul; McCown, Deborah D.; Connor, Kristina. 2007. Micropropagation of the endangered shrub pondberry (Lindera melissifolia [Walt.] Blume). HortScience, Vol. 42(2): 407-409
- Pondberry (Lindera melissifolia) seed predators
- The endangered pondberry (Lindera melissifolia [Walt] Blume, Lauraceae)
- Ecology and reproductive biology of the endangered pondberry, Lindera melissifolia (Walt) Blume
XML: View XML