Skip to Main Content
Regional patterns in foliar 15N across a gradient of nitrogen deposition in the northeastern USAuthor(s): Linda H. Pardo; Steven G. McNulty; Johnny L. Boggs; Sara Duke
Source: Environmental Pollution, Vol. 149: 293-302
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (275 KB)
DescriptionRecent studies have demonstrated that natural abundance 15N can be a useful tool for assessing nitrogen saturation, because as nitrification and nitrate loss increase, d15N of foliage and soil also increases. We measured foliar d15N at 11 high-elevation spruce-fir stands along an N deposition gradient in 1987-1988 and at seven paired northern hardwood and spruce-fir stands in 1999. In 1999, foliar d15N increased from 5.2 to 0.7& with increasing N deposition from Maine to NY. Foliar d15N decreased between 1987-1988 and 1999, while foliar %N increased and foliar C:N decreased at most sites. Foliar d15N was strongly correlated with N deposition, and was also positively correlated with net nitrification potential and negatively correlated with soil C:N ratio. Although the increase in foliar %N is consistent with a progression towards N saturation, other results of this study suggest that, in 1999, these stands were further from N saturation than in 1987-1988.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPardo, Linda H.; McNulty, Steven G.; Boggs, Johnny L.; Duke, Sara. 2007. Regional patterns in foliar 15N across a gradient of nitrogen deposition in the northeastern US. Environmental Pollution, Vol. 149: 293-302
KeywordsN saturation, stable isotopes, spruce-fir, northern hardwood forests
- Regional patterns in foliar 15N across a gradient of nitrogen deposition in the northeastern US
- Changes in conifer and deciduous forest foliar and forest floor chemistry and basal area tree growth across a nitrogen (N) deposition gradient in the northeastern US
- Spruce-fir forest changes during a 30-year nitrogen saturation experiment
XML: View XML