Skip to Main Content
Monitoring the health of selected eastern arc forests in TanzaniaAuthor(s): Seif Madoffe; Gerard D. Hertel; Paul Rodgers [Rogers]; Barbra [Barbara] O'Connel; Raymond Killenga
Source: African Journal of Ecology. 44: 171-177.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (205 B)
DescriptionThe eastern arc mountains (EAMs) are a chain of isolated mountains (534,000 ha) in Kenya and Tanzania surrounded by arid woodlands and influenced by the Indian Ocean. In 1900 there was three times the amount of forest cover there is today. Much of the original forests have been converted into agricultural crops. These mountains are recognized as a globally important 'hot spot' by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and World Conservation of Union (IUCN) for forest biodiversity and are major national, regional and local sources of hydropower, water and wide array of forest-based benefits and agricultural production. In February 2000 we began a 3-year evaluation of forest health, land-use change and information sharing in the EAMs. Permanent sample plots were used to evaluate forest health. This paper summarizes the baseline data from eighteen permanent sample plots in the east Usambara's and nine in Ulugurus. The eastern arc web site (http://www.easternarc.org) was established, continues to expand and contains some detailed information on the project. Information gathered will assist land managers, planners, policy makers, interested communities (villages) and individuals in decision-making. These data can also provide an early warning system of stresses on forest catchments.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMadoffe, Seif; Hertel, Gerard D.; Rodgers [Rogers], Paul; O''Connel, Barbra [Barbara]; Killenga, Raymond. 2006. Monitoring the health of selected eastern arc forests in Tanzania. African Journal of Ecology. 44: 171-177.
Keywordseastern arc forests, forest health monitoring
- Forest health monitoring in the Eastern Arc Mountains of Kenya and Tanzania: A baseline report on selected forest reserves
- Forest health monitoring in the Ngangao Forest, Taita Tills, Kenya: A five year assessment of change
- Summary report: Forest health monitoring in the South, 1992
XML: View XML