Skip to Main Content
Government regulation of forestry practices on private forest land in the United States: an assessment of state government responsibilities and program performanceAuthor(s): Paul V. Ellefson; Michael A. Kilgore; James E. Granskog
Source: Forest Policy and Economics: 13 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.90 MB)
DescriptionIn 2003, a comprehensive assessment of state government, forest practice regulatory programs in the United States was undertaken. Involved was an extensive review of the literature and information gathering h m program administration in all 50 states. The assessment determined that regulatory programs focus on a wide range of forestry practices applied to private forests; state agencies regulating forestry practices me numerous and responsible for substantial investment in forest practice regulatory programs; 15 state governments have especially prominent regulatory programs; and past evaluations of regulatory program performance have produced mixed results. Program administrators suggest regulatory program design and administration would benefit h m research focused on identifying forestry sectors requiring regulatory attention; design of regulatory programs and means for evaluating their performance; equity and distributional consequences of regulatory program enforcement; and the design of information management systems for monitoring regulatory programs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEllefson, Paul V.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Granskog, James E. 2006. Government regulation of forestry practices on private forest land in the United States: an assessment of state government responsibilities and program performance. Forest Policy and Economics: 13 p.
Keywordsforestry practices, government regulations, private forest land
- Managing across levels of government: evaluation of federal-state roles and responsibilities involving nonfederal forests in the United States
- State government regulation of forestry practices applied to nonfederal forests: extent and intensity of agency involvement
- Status of state forestry best management practices for the southeastern United States
XML: View XML