Skip to Main Content
IAPT/IOPB chromosome data 1Author(s): Karol Marhold
Source: Taxon. 55(2): 443-445.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (155 B)
DescriptionThe new series, IAPT/IOPB Chromosome Data, presented here, is a continuation of the long-term activity of the International Organisation of Plant Biosystematists (now interest group of the International Association for Plant Taxonomy) in supporting the research and publication of data on chromosome numbers and ploidy levels. Polyploidy is a frequent phenomenon in plant evolution that produces fast and substantial changes in the genetic composition of the organisms, which seem to foster diversification. It is now widely acknowledged that most plants have undergone one or more episodes of polyploidization during their evolutionary history and thus its importance cannot be overestimated. With the rapid development of methods of molecular systematics, the knowledge of the ploidy level of the studied plant material acquires a new dimension as compared to the early days of publication of the IOPB Chromosome Number Reports in TAXON. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, chromosome numbers were used as an independent source of taxonomic (and phylogenetic) information while the last decade demands ploidy information to correctly interpret molecular data, particularly from ribosomal and lowcopy nuclear genes and from fingerprinting markers. Our intention is not only to publish available data on chromosome numbers and ploidy levels of vascular plants, which otherwise might remain unpublished, but also to encourage further research in this respect.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarhold, Karol. 2006. IAPT/IOPB chromosome data 1. Taxon. 55(2): 443-445.
KeywordsIAPT/IOPB Chromosome Data, polyploidy
- Cytogeography and chromosome evolution of subgenus Tridentatae of Artemisia (Asteraceae)
- Finding needles in haystacks: linking scientific names, reference specimens and molecular data for Fungi
- Loblolly pine karyotype using FISH and DAPI positive banding
XML: View XML