Skip to Main Content
Impacts of air pollution and climate change on forest ecosystems - emerging research needsAuthor(s): Elena Paoletti; Andrzej Bytnerowicz; Chris Andersen; Algirdas Augustaitis; Marco Ferretti; Nancy Grulke; Madeleine S. Gunthardt-goerg; John Innes; Dale Johnson; Dave Karnosky; Jessada Luangjame; Rainer Matyssek; Steven McNulty; Gerhard Muller-Starck; Robert Musselman; Kevin Percy
Source: The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 7(S1): 1-8
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (51.0 KB)
DescriptionOutcomes from the 22nd meeting for Specialists in Air Pollution Effects on Forest Ecosystems "Forests under Anthropogenic Pressure – Effects of Air Pollution, Climate Change and Urban Development", September 10–16, 2006, Riverside, CA, are summarized. Tropospheric or ground-level ozone (O3) is still the phytotoxic air pollutant of major interest. Challenging issues are how to make O3 standards or critical levels more biologically based and at the same time practical for wide use; quantification of plant detoxification processes in flux modeling; inclusion of multiple environmental stresses in critical load determinations; new concept development for nitrogen saturation; interactions between air pollution, climate, and forest pests; effects of forest fire on air quality; the capacity of forests to sequester carbon under changing climatic conditions and coexposure to elevated levels of air pollutants; enhanced linkage between molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, and morphological traits.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPaoletti, Elena; Bytnerowicz; Andersen, Chris; Augustaitis, Algirdas; Ferretti, Marco; Grulke, Nancy; Gunthardt-goerg, Madeleine S.; Innes, John; Johnson, Dale; Karnosky, Dave; Luangjame, Jessada; Matyssek, Rainer; McNulty, Steven; Muller-Starck, Gerhard; Musselman, Robert; Percy, Kevin. 2007. Impacts of air pollution and climate change on forest ecosystems - emerging research needs. The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 7(S1): 1-8
Keywordsair pollutants, forests, global change, state of the art
- Global topics and novel approaches in the study of air pollution, climate change and forest ecosystems
- Managing air pollution impacted forests of California
- Impacts of tropospheric ozone and climate change on net primary productivity and net carbon exchange of China’s forest ecosystems
XML: View XML