Alkaline peroxide treatment of ECF bleached softwood kraft pulps. Part 1. characterizing the effect of alkaline peroxide treatment on carboxyl groups of fibersAuthor(s): Zheng Dang; Thomas Elder; Arthur J. Ragauskas
Source: Holzforschung, Vol. 61: 445-450
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.16 MB)
DescriptionThe influence of alkaline peroxide treatment has been characterized on elementally chlorine-free (ECF) bleached softwood (SW) kraft pulp. The results indicate that fiber charge increased with an increase in peroxide charge: a maximum fiber charge increment of 16.6% was obtained with 8.0% more peroxide charge on oven-dried (0.d.) pulp at 60.0°C. Two primary bleaching temperatures of 60.0°C and 90.0°C were investigated during peroxide treatment. Copper number decreased for peroxide charges of 0.5% and 1.O% at 60.0°C and 90.0°C, respectively, then increased with increasing peroxide charge. Both fiber charge and copper number approached constant values when 4.0% or higher peroxide charge was applied. Peroxide treatment on a bleached kraft pulp at 90.0eC resulted in lower fiber charge and lower intrinsic viscosity compared to treatment at 60.0°C. Sodium borohydride (NaBH4) pretreatment was able to protect the fibers from being degraded during peroxide bleaching. Fiber charge and copper number were compared after peroxide treatment of ECF bleached kraft pulp to NaBH4-reduced ECF bleached kraft pulp. The results indicate that the carbonyl group content of fibers is favorable for improving fiber charge after peroxide treatment.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDang, Zheng; Elder, Thomas; Ragauskas, Arthur J. 2007. Alkaline peroxide treatment of ECF bleached softwood kraft pulps. Part 1. characterizing the effect of alkaline peroxide treatment on carboxyl groups of fibers. Holzforschung, Vol. 61: 445-450
- Alkaline peroxide treatment of ECF bleached softwood kraft pulps: part 2. effect of increased fiber charge on refining, wet-end application, and hornification
- Influence of kraft pulping on carboxylate content of softwood kraft pulps
- The use of C-near edge X-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy for the elaboration of chemistry in lignocellulosics
XML: View XML