Skip to Main Content
Mechanical and physical properties of agro-based fiberboardAuthor(s): S. Lee; T.F. Shupe; C.Y. Hse
Source: Holz als Roh- und Werkstoff, Vol. 64: 74-79
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.11 MB)
DescriptionIn order to better utilize agricultural fibers as an alternative resource for composite panels, several variables were investigated to improve mechanical and physical properties of agm-based fiberboard. This study focused on the effect of fiber morphology, slenderness ratios (UD), and fiber mixing combinations on panel properties. The panel construction types were also investigated such as hardboard (HB), medium density fiberboard (MDF), and bagasse core panel (BCP) made from bagasse/bamboo combinations with a combination of 1% pMDI/4% UF as a binder. Static bending properties and tensile strength increased as fiber UD increased from 3 to 26. Fiber separation and morphology also influenced the mechanical property development of agm-based panels. Bagasse fiber bundles and particles smaller than UD of 5.4 were responsible for the mechanical property loss of apbascd MDF. The BCP yielded promising results for modulus of elasticity (MOE) and modulus of rupture (MOR). However, HB appeared to be a better panel type for agro-based composites based on the property enhancement compared to wood-based panel products.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLee, S.; Shupe, T.F.; Hse, C.Y. 2006. Mechanical and physical properties of agro-based fiberboard. Holz als Roh- und Werkstoff, Vol. 64: 74-79
- Properties of bio-based medium density fiberboard
- Utilization of Chinese tallow tree and bagasse for medium density fiberboard
- Relationship between Fiber Furnish and the Structural Performance of MDF
XML: View XML