Skip to Main Content
Mechanical properties of small-scale laminated wood composite poles: effects of taper and websAuthor(s): Cheng Piao; Todd F. Shupe; R.C. Tang; Chung Y. Hse
Source: Wood and Fiber Science, Vol. 38(4): 633-643
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.92 MB)
DescriptionLaminated hollow wood composite poles represent an efficient utilization of the timber resource and a promising alternative for solid poles that are commonly used in the power transmission and telecommunication lines. The objective of this study was to improve the performance of composite poles by introducing the bio-mimicry concept into the design of hollow wood composite poles. Five laminated hollow wood composite poles with taper and plywood-made webs, acting like the nodes in the bamboo, were made and tested in cantilevered static bending. Results indicated that node-like webs had a positive effect on the integrity, static bending properties, and shear resistance of the members tested, and their strength performance is comparable to that of the solid wood composite poles. However, the laminated hollow wood composite poles with taper showed slightly lower resistance to horizontal shear as compared to the members without taper.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPiao, Cheng; Shupe, Todd F.; Tang, R.C.; Hse, Chung Y. 2006. Mechanical properties of small-scale laminated wood composite poles: effects of taper and webs. Wood and Fiber Science, Vol. 38(4): 633-643
KeywordsCantilevered static bending, mechanical properties, taper, wood poles
- Finite element modeling of small-scale tapered wood-laminated composite poles with biomimicry features
- Mechanical properties of small-scale wood laminated composite poles
- Impact performance of two bamboo-based laminated composites
XML: View XML