Skip to Main Content
Historical trends of timber product output in the SouthAuthor(s): Tony G. Johnson; Daniel P. Stratton
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–33. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 59 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (838 KB)
DescriptionThis report contains historical data of canvasses of primary wood-using plants conducted periodically in the 13 Southern States and presents changes in product output by year of survey species group, and product by thousand cubic feet and standard units. This data complements the Forest Inventory and Analysis periodic inventory of volume, growth, and removals from each State’s timberland. The canvasses were conducted to determine the amount and source of wood receipts and annual timber product drain by county and to determine interstate and cross-regional movement of industrial roundwood. Only primary wood-using mills were canvassed and in this report only Statewide totals by product are reported. Primary mills are those that process roundwood in log or bolt form or as chipped roundwood. Examples of industrial roundwood products are saw logs, pulpwood, veneer logs, poles, posts, and logs used for composite board products. Mills producing products from residues generated at primary or secondary processors were not canvassed. Trees chipped in the woods were included only if they were delivered to a primary domestic manufacturer.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Tony G.; Stratton, Daniel P. 1998. Historical trends of timber product output in the South. Resour. Bull. SRS–33. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 59 p.
- The Southeast's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 1995
- South Carolina's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2003
- Georgia's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2003
XML: View XML