Skip to Main Content
Forest Service patrol captain and patrol commanders report: nationwide studyAuthor(s): Deborah J. Chavez; Joanne F. Tynon
Source: Res. Pap. PSW-RP-254. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station; 38 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
Download Publication (506 KB)
DescriptionThis is the third in a series of studies to evaluate perceptions of USDA Forest Service law enforcement personnel of the roles, responsibilities, and issues entailed in their jobs. An e-mail survey was administered to the 79 Forest Service patrol captains and patrol commanders (PCs) across the United States. Seventy completed and returned the questionnaire. Communication with others in the Forest Service was important to the PC respondents, as evidenced by their efforts to communicate at group meetings, talking face-to-face with others, their use of e-mail and the phone, and being available to communicate. A major concern for the PC respondents was the shortage of law enforcement officers and forest protection officers. Forest Service PC respondents ranked their highest job priorities as protecting National Forest System employees and forest users, followed by protecting forest resources and public property. Nationally, a successful program was characterized as one with sufficient resources that is understood by those engaged in or affected by the program, and one that is under good leadership.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChavez, Deborah J.; Tynon, Joanne F. 2007. Forest Service patrol captain and patrol commanders report: nationwide study. Res. Pap. PSW-RP-254. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station; 38 p
KeywordsCrime and violence, law enforcement, forest visitors, successful management
- Forest Service special agent in charge report: nationwide study
- Forest Service special agents, assistant special agents in charge, senior special agents, and supervisory special agents report: nationwide study
- Forest Service National Forest System perceptions of law enforcement and investigations: nationwide study
XML: View XML