Skip to Main Content
Infrared spectroscopic monitoring of urea addition to oriented strandboard resinsAuthor(s): Chi-Leung So; Thomas L. Eberhardt; Ernest Hsu; Brian K. Via; Chung Y. Hse
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 105: 733-738
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionOne of the variables in phenol formaldehyde adhesive resin formulation is the addition of urea, which allows the resin manufacturer to manipulate both product functionality and cost. Nitrogen content can be used as a measure of the level of urea addition because most of the nitrogen present is derived from urea added at the end of the preparation process. Nitrogen analyses of a set of commercial oriented strandboard resins were first determined by combustion analysis. IR spectroscopic data were then collected and used along with the values for nitrogen content to generate predictive models. First, principal component analysis demonstrated the ability to separate resin mixtures from low to high nitrogen content. Partial least squares regression was then performed and gave excellent correlations between the measured and predicted nitrogen contents for a set of unrelated (test) resins and a set of mixtures prepared through combinations of resins with known nitrogen contents. Similar results were obtained on both a wet and dry mass basis. Given the flexibility of this instrumentation, such analyses could be placed in-line for real time monitoring of resin applied during panel manufacturing
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSo, Chi-Leung; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Hsu, Ernest; Via, Brian K.; Hse, Chung Y. 2007. Infrared spectroscopic monitoring of urea addition to oriented strandboard resins. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 105: 733-738
Keywordsinfrared spectroscopy, adhesives, oriented strandboard, phenol formaldehyde, resins, urea
- Development of melamine modified urea formaldehyde resins based o nstrong acidic pH catalyzed urea formaldehyde polymer
- Reaction pH of urea-formaldehyde resins as related to strength properties of southern pine particleboard
- Analysis of curing process and thermal properties of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins
XML: View XML