Skip to Main Content
A case for classifying the Rio Grande silvery minnow (Hybognathus amarus) as an omnivoreAuthor(s): Hugo A. Magana
Source: Albuquerque, NM: The University of New Mexico. 109 p. Dissertation.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (195 B)
DescriptionThe Rio Grande has been identified as one of the most endangered rivers in the United States by American Rivers. Water impoundment, water extraction, and point-source pollution have likely contributed to the decline of the federally endangered Rio Grande silvery minnow (Hybognathus amarus). The overall goal of this study was to locate, identify, and characterize food resources for H. amarus and the ichthyofauna of the Middle Rio Grande (MRG). After locating possible food resources (chapter 1) A single diatom cell was isolated from a mixed environmental collection and grown in monoculture. Unialgal cultures were used to assess H. amarus diatom preferences and conditioning response (chapter 2). An extended flood-pulse release from Cochiti Reservoir allowed me to investigate food resource usage during a flood event.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMagana, Hugo A. 2007. A case for classifying the Rio Grande silvery minnow (Hybognathus amarus) as an omnivore. Albuquerque, NM: The University of New Mexico. 109 p. Dissertation.
KeywordsRio Grande silvery minnow, Hybognathus amarus, Middle Rio Grande (MRG)
- Feeding preference of the Rio Grande silvery minnow (Hybognathus amarus)
- Habitat use of the Rio Grande silvery minnow (Hybognathus amarus) during a long-term flood pulse in the Middle Rio Grande, New Mexico
- Bendway weirs: Could they create habitat for the endangered Rio Grande silvery minnow
XML: View XML