Skip to Main Content
Giving voice to wildlands visitors: Selecting indicators to protect and sustain experiences in the eastern arctic of NunavutAuthor(s): Alan Watson; Brian Glaspell; Neal Christensen; Paul Lachapelle; Vicki Sahanatien; Frances Gertsch
Source: Environmental Management. 40: 880-888.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (180 B)
DescriptionMany public land management agencies are committed to understanding and protecting recreation visitor experiences. Parks Canada is deeply committed to that objective for visitors to Canada's National Parks. This 2004 study, informed by a 2003 qualitative study of visitor experiences and influences on those experiences at Auyuittuq National Park in Nunavut, worked to bring 50 potential elements of visitor experiences down to five articulated dimensions of the experience that is currently being received at this remote eastern arctic park. A hypothesized set of 17 influences on experiences, also reduced to just two factors with similar response patterns, and with some items that did not flow into the two factors, were used in a regression analysis to understand the relationship between experiences and factors of influence. A sample of 61.8% (84) of the total recreation visitor population 16 years of age or older was surveyed during deregistration after the trip. Knowledge about the dimensions of the experiences currently received and factors of influence on those experiences can be used to guide selection of indicators for describing objectives and prescribing monitoring protocol.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWatson, Alan; Glaspell, Brian; Christensen, Neal; Lachapelle, Paul; Sahanatien, Vicki; Gertsch, Frances. 2007. Giving voice to wildlands visitors: Selecting indicators to protect and sustain experiences in the eastern arctic of Nunavut. Environmental Management. 40: 880-888.
Keywordslimits of acceptable change, recreation, social indicators, wilderness, parks management, visitor experiences, factors of influence
- Carrying capacity & visitor experience: Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- Managing recreational experiences in Arctic National Parks: A process for identifying indicators
- Re-examine the measure of values cross-culturally: the case of recreation visitors in Hong Kong and Taiwan
XML: View XML