Skip to Main Content
An outside assessment of wilderness research in the Forest ServiceAuthor(s): David J. Parsons
Source: International Journal of Wilderness. 13(3): 34-35, 39.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (100 B)
DescriptionIn February 2007 the U.S. Forest Service (FS) hosted an external peer review of the agency's wilderness research program area. In response to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and Office of Science and Technology direction to review all federal research programs, the FS has been systematically conducting external peer reviews of its various research program areas. Wilderness was identified as a candidate for such review due to its crosscutting nature; both across disciplines and its applicability and importance to the five federal agencies with management and science responsibilities for the National Wilderness Preservation System (Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service [NPS], U.S. Geological Survey [USGS], and FS). Monica Turner, a respected landscape ecologist and professor in the Department of Zoology at the University of Wisconsin, served as chair of the review panel. The six other panel members included three university faculty (Dorothy Anderson, Chad Dawson, Barry Noon) as well as representatives of the USGS (Jack Waide), NPS (John Dennis), and The Wilderness Society (Greg Aplet). The charge to the panel was to review the FS wilderness research program area, to assess the capacity of that program to address future needs, and to provide guidance for the future direction of wilderness research activities in the FS.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParsons, David J. 2007. An outside assessment of wilderness research in the Forest Service. International Journal of Wilderness. 13(3): 34-35, 39.
Keywordswilderness research, Forest Service, external peer review
- The U.S. Geological Survey and wilderness research
- The USGS Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center
- The North Cascadia Adaptation Partnership: a science-management collaboration for responding to climate change
XML: View XML