Skip to Main Content
Forest roads: a synthesis of scientific information.Author(s): Hermann Gucinski; Michael J. Furniss; Robert R. Ziemer; Martha H. Brookes
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-509. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 103 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (542 KB)
DescriptionEffects of roads in forested ecosystems span direct physical and ecological ones (such as geomorphic and hydrologic effects), indirect and landscape level ones (such as effects on aquatic habitat, terrestrial vertebrates, and biodiversity conservation), and socioeconomic ones (such as passive-use value, economic effects on development and range management). Road effects take place in the contexts of environmental settings, their history, and the state of engineering practices, and must be evaluated in those contexts for best management approaches.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGucinski, Hermann; Furniss, Michael J.; Ziemer, Robert R.; Brookes, Martha H. 2001. Forest roads: a synthesis of scientific information. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-509. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 103 p
KeywordsRoads, roadless areas, forest ecosystems, geomorphology, hydrology, habitat fragmentation, biodiversity, nonmarket values, heritage values, economic development, grazing, mineral resources, fire
- Forest roads: A synthesis of scientific information
- Roads in landscape modeling: a case study of a road data layer and use in the interior northwest landscape analysis system.
- Fish passage at road crossings: an annotated bibliography.
XML: View XML