Skip to Main Content
Forest Products Laboratory : supporting the nation's armed forces with valuable wood research for 90 yearsAuthor(s): Christopher D. Risbrudt; Robert J. Ross; Julie J. Blankenburg; Charles A. Nelson
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 57, nos. 1/2 (Jan./Feb. 2007): pages -14.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (439 KB)
DescriptionFounded in 1910 by the U.S. Forest Service to serve as a centralized, national wood research laboratory, the USDA Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) has a long history of providing technical services to other government agencies, including those within the Defense (DoD). A recent search of FPL’s library and correspondence files revealed that approximately 10,000 articles, reports, manuals, other technical publications, and communications have been generated and provided to the DoD since 1910. FPL has provided support on a broad array of technical questions—from designing lightweight packaging systems for transporting materiel to Europe and the South Pacific during World War II to assisting in the design and repair of motor mounts for minesweepers used in Desert Storm. This article offers a brief review of some of the contributions FPL has made in support of the United States’ military.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRisbrudt, Christopher D.; Ross, Robert J.; Blankenburg, Julie J.; Nelson, Charles A. 2007. Forest Products Laboratory : supporting the nation''s armed forces with valuable wood research for 90 years. Forest products journal. Vol. 57, nos. 1/2 (Jan./Feb. 2007): pages -14.
KeywordsForest products, military aspects, United States, wood, history, research institutes, Dept. of Defense, Forest Products Laboratory, utilization, research
- Bibliography of FPL tropical forest utilization research–1910 to 1989
- Forests and biofuels: an opportunity for public-private partnering
- Selection, production, procurement, and use of preservative treated wood : supplementing federal specification TT-W-571
XML: View XML