Skip to Main Content
Tourism and natural resource management: a general overview of research and issues.Author(s): Jeffrey D. Kline
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-506. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 19 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (466 KB)
DescriptionIn recent years, growing awareness among tourism researchers of the relations between tourism and natural resource management has resulted in a substantial body of academic literature examining tourism issues under a relatively new set of tourism concepts. Seemingly new forms of tourism, such as nature-based tourism, ecotourism, and sustainable tourism, now are advocated as an environmentally safe basis for economic development in many rural locations worldwide. The USDA Forest Service has become interested in these new forms of tourism because of decreasing timber harvests and increasing recreation on national forest lands, and the resulting impacts of these changes on local economies. New forms of tourism are closely related to outdoor recreation, which has been a management objective of National Forests since their inception. This paper discusses the concepts of nature-based tourism, ecotourism, and sustainable tourism; provides a general overview of research and issues; and suggests potential areas for future research. The intent is to provide a general overview of existing literature to serve as a primer for researchers and policymakers initiating more thorough investigations of tourism and natural resource management.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKline, Jeffrey D. 2001. Tourism and natural resource management: a general overview of research and issues. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-506. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 19 p
KeywordsNature-based tourism, ecotourism, sustainable development, outdoor recreation
- Sustainability in outdoor recreation and tourism
- Sense of place in natural resource recreation and tourism: an evaluation and assessment of research findings.
- Urban forestry research in the United State: the state of art and future prospects
XML: View XML