An improved algorithm for small and cool fire detection using MODIS data: A preliminary study in the southeastern United StatesAuthor(s): Wanting Wang; John J. Qu; Xianjun Hao; Yongqiang Liu; William T. Sommers
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment. 108: 189-197.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (816 KB)
DescriptionTraditional fire detection algorithms mainly rely on hot spot detection using thermal infrared (TIR) channels with fixed or contextual thresholds. Three solar reflectance channels (0.65 μm, 0.86 μm, and 2.1 μm) were recently adopted into the MODIS version 4 contextual algorithm to improve the active fire detection. In the southeastern United States, where most fires are small and relatively cool, the MODIS version 4 contextual algorithm can be adjusted and improved for more accurate regional fire detection. Based on the MODIS version 4 contextual algorithm and a smoke detection algorithm, an improved algorithm using four TIR channels and seven solar reflectance channels is described. This approach is presented with fire events in the southeastern United States. The study reveals that the T22 of most small, cool fires undetected by the MODIS version 4 contextual algorithm is lower than 310 K. The improved algorithm is more sensitive to small, cool fires in the southeast especially for fires detected at large scan angles.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Wanting; Qu, John J.; Xianjun Hao; Liu, Yongqiang; Sommers, William T. 2006. An improved algorithm for small and cool fire detection using MODIS data: A preliminary study in the southeastern United States. Remote Sensing of Environment. 108: 189-197.
KeywordsAlgorithm, Remote Sensing, MODIS, Regional fire detection, Small, cool fires
Analysis of the moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer contextual algorithm for small fire detection
- Analysis of the moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer contextual algorithm for small fire detection, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing Vol.3
- Validation and understanding of Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer aerosol products (C5) using ground-based measurements from the handheld Sun photometer network in China
XML: View XML