Skip to Main Content
National visitor use monitoring implementation in Alaska.Author(s): Eric M. White; Joshua B. Wilson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-740. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 52 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (288 KB)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service implemented the National Visitor Use Monitoring (NVUM) program across the entire National Forest System (NFS) in calendar year 2000. The primary objective of the NVUM program is to develop reliable estimates of recreation use on NFS lands via a nationally consistent, statistically valid sampling approach. Secondary objectives of NVUM are to characterize recreation visits, collect data in support of regional economic analyses, and gauge national forest visitor satisfaction. We document and review the round 1 NVUM implementation in the USDA Forest Service Alaska Region (R-10) with examination of the R-10 prework; sample day implementation; survey completion rates; sampling at cabins; boat docks; and air carriers; and the NVUM expansion weights assigned to survey cases. Several opportunities to improve the implementation of the standard NVUM protocols in R-10 are identified.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWhite, Eric M.; Wilson, Joshua B. 2008. National visitor use monitoring implementation in Alaska. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-740. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 52 p
KeywordsNational Visitor Use Monitoring, Region 10, recreation visitor sampling
- Area-specific recreation use estimation using the national visitor use monitoring program data.
- An outdoor recreation use model with applications to evaluating survey estimators
- Recreation ecosystem services from chaparral dominated landscapes: a baseline assessment from national forests in Southern California
XML: View XML