Skip to Main Content
A web-based tree crown condition training and evaluation tool for urban and community forestryAuthor(s): Matthew F. Winn; Neil A. Clark; Philip A. Araman; Sang-Mook Lee
Source: Proceedings, Dean's Forum on the Environment - Virginia Tech. 152.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (160.92 KB)
DescriptionTraining personnel for natural resource related field work can be a costly and time-consuming process. For that reason, web-based training is considered by many to be a more attractive alternative to on-site training. The U.S. Forest Service Southern Research Station unit with Virginia Tech cooperators in Blacksburg, Va., are in the process of constructing a web site that will provide web-based training to FIA crews, urban foresters, and citizen scientists in the area of urban tree monitoring. The site will also have a Testing Module to evaluate those receiving the training. We are also developing a Do-It-Yourself Crown Analysis module that will allow people to upload digital images of their trees for customized analysis. This analysis will utilize our automated image processing to determine and monitor crown characteristics. Initially, the web site will focus primarily on tree crown characteristics, but will eventually contain information on site and bole characteristics, as well.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinn, Matthew F.; Clark, Neil A.; Araman, Philip A.; Lee, Sang-Mook. 2007. A web-based tree crown condition training and evaluation tool for urban and community forestry. Proceedings, Dean''s Forum on the Environment - Virginia Tech. 152.
- Urban tree crown health assessment system: a tool for communities and citizen foresters
- Web-based tree crown condition evaluation training tool for urban and community forestry
- Broadening participation in biological monitoring: handbook for scientists and managers.
XML: View XML