Skip to Main Content
2007 accomplishment report for the Eastern and Western forest environmental threat assessment centersAuthor(s): Danny C. Lee; Jerome S. Beatty
Source: Science Update SRS-017. United States Department of Agriculture, Southern Research Station.
Publication Series: Science Update
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionAs chance would have it, the Eastern Forest and Western Wildland Environmental Threat Assessment Centers were created the same year (2005) that the Forest Service celebrated its centennial anniversary as an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The historic birth of the Forest Service provides a nice backdrop to view our own more modest beginnings. Both events were motivated by a desire to protect and sustain the health of our Nation's treasured natural resources. Both also occurred during times of increasing concern about environmental threats. When Gifford Pinchot first championed the Forest Service, unfettered exploitation of public lands and the absence of scientific information to support land management decisions were primary issues. The controversies have changed, but not entirely. Today’s headlines ring with concerns over wildland fire, climate change, invasive species, the loss of open space, and a perceived decline in amenities that forests and wildlands provide. Pinchot likely could recognize similarities with his own times. What remains utterly unchanged is the fundamental need for sound science and tools to support management.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLee, Danny C.; Beatty, Jerome S. 2008. 2007 accomplishment report for the Eastern and Western forest environmental threat assessment centers. Science Update SRS-017. United States Department of Agriculture, Southern Research Station.
- Eastern forest environmental threat assessment center
- Examining incentives for adjacent non-industrial private forest landowners to cooperate
- Forest ownership dynamics of southern forests
XML: View XML