Skip to Main Content
Contact toxicity of twenty insecticides applied to Symmerista canicostaAuthor(s): Jacqueline L. Robertson; Robert L. Lyon; Fay L. Shon; Nancy L. Gillette
Source: Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 3p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (481.0 KB)
DescriptionTwenty insecticides were tested by topical application on mixed groups of 4th- and 5th -stage larvae of Symmerista canicosta Franclemont. Four exceeded DDT in toxicity at LD50 but only resmethrin was significantly mor toxic. Most of the compounds showed unusually high toxicities. Twelve, listed in decreasing order of toxicity, caused 50% mortality with <5μg/g body weight: resmethrin, methonmyl, phoxim, pyrethrins, DDT, Zectran (4-dimethylamino-3.5-xylyl methylcarbamate), chlorpyrifos, Landrin (3,4,5- (93%) and 2,3,5-trimethylphenyl methylcarbamate (7%)), Gardona (2-chloro-1-(2,4,5-trichlorophenyl) vinyl dimethyl phosphate), carbaryl, Imidan (0,0-dimethyl phosphorodithioate S-ester with N-(mercaptomethyl) phthlimide), and aminocarb. Several were promising candidates for field testing.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobertson, Jacqueline L., Lyon, Robert L., Shon, Fay L., Gillette, Nancy L. 1972. Contact toxicity of twenty insecticides applied to Symmerista canicosta. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 3p.
- Western tent caterpillar: Contact toxicity of ten insecticides applied to the larvae
- Contact toxicity of 14 insecticides tested on pine butterfly larvae
- Toxicity of selected insecticides applied to western spruce budworm
XML: View XML