Skip to Main Content
Handbook for inventorying surface fuels and biomass in the Interior WestAuthor(s): James K. Brown; Rick D. Oberheu; Cameron M. Johnston
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-129. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Forest and Range Experimental Station. 48 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (2.7 MB)
DescriptionPresents comprehensive procedures for inventorying weight per unit area of living and dead surface vegetation, to facilitate estimation of biomass and appraisal of fuels. Provides instructions for conducting fieldwork and calculating estimates of downed woody material, forest floor litter and duff, herbaceous vegetation, shrubs, and small conifers. Procedures produce the most accurate estimates in the Interior West; however, techniques for herbs, litter, and downed woody material are applicable anywhere. Includes computer program and card punching instructions for processing inventory data.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationBrown, James K.; Oberheu, Rick D.; Johnston, Cameron M. 1982. Handbook for inventorying surface fuels and biomass in the Interior West. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-129. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Forest and Range Experimental Station. 48 p.
Keywordssampling, forest floor estimation, shrub estimation, grass and forb estimation, forest fuel estimation
- Sampling protocol, estimation, and analysis procedures for the down woody materials indicator of the FIA program
- Handbook for inventorying downed woody material
- Ground cover in old-growth forests of the central hardwood region
XML: View XML