Skip to Main Content
Back to the future? Tourism, place, and sustainabilityAuthor(s): Daniel R. Williams; Susan Van Patten
Source: In: Anderson, L.; Blom, T.; eds. Sustainability and development: On the future of small society in a dynamic economy. Proceedings of the Karlsbad International seminar. Karlsbad, Sweden: University of Karlsbad. p. 359-369.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (450 B)
DescriptionTourism, especially rural tourism, epitomizes the problematic elements of sustainability. On the one hand, as a service industry trading on the uniqueness of a place and region, tourism is seen as more environmentally benign than industrial production, manufacturing, extractive industries, and even agriculture. When traditional resource dependent industries decline (whether due to depletion of resources, emergence of more competitive alternatives, or promulgation of environmental regulations), local communities, environmental organizations, and politicians often turn to tourism as a way to sustain the local economy. On the other hand, tourism is made possible by the same globalizing forces that put rural and small scale society at the margin spatially and economically. Tourism largely finds its market in a modern, urban, global society, which longs for a kind of experience of place associated with the rural, pastoral, and natural. The same logic of global capitalism that makes small scale society difficult to sustain, makes travel economically practical and psychologically attractive to the tourist.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, Daniel R.; Van Patten, Susan. 1998. Back to the future? Tourism, place, and sustainability. In: Anderson, L.; Blom, T.; eds. Sustainability and development: On the future of small society in a dynamic economy. Proceedings of the Karlsbad International seminar. Karlsbad, Sweden: University of Karlsbad. p. 359-369.
Keywordstourism, sustainability, industry, travel
- It's real sustainable rural tourism development: case studies from the Heartland
- Advancing sustainable forestry by using engineered wood or bio-composites
- An application of the global sustainable tourism criteria in health tourism
XML: View XML