Skip to Main Content
The components of change for an annual forest inventory designAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch
Source: For. Sci., Vol. 53(3): 406-413
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (231 KB)
DescriptionThe sample design of the USDA Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) with respect to a three-dimensional population (forest area time) of tree attributes is formally defined and valuated. The definitions for both the traditional components of growth, as presented by Meyer (1953, Forest Mensuration), and a discrete analog to the time invariant redefinition of the components of change given by Eriksson (1995, Forest Sci. 41(4):796–822), are compared and contrasted. Special problems in the application of the traditional definitions due to the continuous and overlapping temporal intervals featured in the sample design are explored. This exploration supports a contention that the traditional definitions are at a theoretical disadvantage because they are not based purely on the population(s) of interest, while the redefinitions dubbed the components of change by Eriksson (1995) were based solely on population attributes. The temporally discrete analog to the Eriksson definitions are used in this article to define the three-dimensional populations in terms of a set of mutually exclusive component matrices that can be summed to represent the entire population, independently of the sample design.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A. 2007. The components of change for an annual forest inventory design. For. Sci., Vol. 53(3): 406-413
Keywordssampling, forest change, volume growth
- The components of change for an annual forest inventory design
- Continuous inventories and the components of change
- The FIA Panel Design and Compatible Estimators for the Components of Change
XML: View XML