Skip to Main Content
Investigating potential effects of heli-skiing on golden eagles in the Wasatch Mountains, UtahAuthor(s): Teryl G. Grubb; David K. Delaney; William W. Bowerman
Source: Final Report to the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Study No. RMRS-RWU-4251-P2-2. Agreement No. 05-JV-112210607-237. Salt Lake City, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Region, Wasatch-Cache National Forest. 76 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.7 MB)
DescriptionImplementing further research was beyond the scope of the U.S. Forest Service's 2004 Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and 2005 Wasatch Powderbird Guides (WPG) Special Use Permit Renewal process for heli-skiing in the Tri-Canyon Area in the Wasatch Mountains, just east of Salt Lake City, Utah. However, in their Record of Decision the Wasaatch-Cache (WCNF) and Uinta National Forests expressed full support for undertaking a comprehensive study to more intensively examine helicopter-golden eagle interactions. This research project is a result of that commitment, with a goal of gathering more specific information on the potential effects of heli-skiing operations on golden eagles occupying territories or actively nesting in the Tri-Canyon Area, while evaluating the effectiveness of current mitigation and management practices identified in the FEIS. Of necessity, this 2006-2007 research project focused primarily on the helicopter aspects of heli-skiing. It was jointly funded by the U.S. Forest Service WCNF and Rocky Mountain Research Station, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, and Clemson University. Objectives included a golden eagle occupancy survey, experimental helicopter testing, and a recreational analysis.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K.; Bowerman, William W. 2007. Investigating potential effects of heli-skiing on golden eagles in the Wasatch Mountains, Utah. Final Report to the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Study No. RMRS-RWU-4251-P2-2. Agreement No. 05-JV-112210607-237. Salt Lake City, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Region, Wasatch-Cache National Forest. 76 p.
Keywordshelicopter, heli-skiing, golden eagle, Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS), Wasaatch-Cache National Forest (WCNF), Uinta National Forest
- Golden eagle indifference to heli-skiing and military helicopters in northern Utah
- Assessment of watershed vulnerability to climate change for the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache and Ashley National Forests, Utah
- Wintering Golden Eagles on the coastal plain of South Carolina
XML: View XML