Skip to Main Content
Comparison of fire scars, fire atlases, and satellite data in the northwestern United StatesAuthor(s): Lauren B. Shapiro-Miller; Emily K. Heyerdahl; Penelope Morgan
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37: 1933-1943.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (480 B)
DescriptionWe evaluated agreement in the location and occurrence of 20th century fires recorded in digital fire atlases with those inferred from fire scars that we collected systematically at one site in Idaho and from existing fire-scar reconstructions at four sites in Washington. Fire perimeters were similar for two of three 20th century fires in Idaho (1924 and 1986). Overall spatial agreement was best in 1924 (producer's accuracy = 94% and 68% and user's accuracy = 90% and 70% for the 1924 and 1986 fires, respectively). In 1924, fire extent from the atlas was greater than for fire scars, but the reverse was true for 1986. In 1986, fire extent interpreted from the delta normalized burn raton derived from pre-and post-fire satellite imagery was similar to that inferred from the fire-scar record (producer's accuracy = 92%, user's accuracy = 88%). In contrast, agreement between fire-scar and fire-atlas records was poor at the Washington sites. Fire atlasses are the most readily available source of information on the extent of late 20th century fires and the only source for the early 20th century. While fire atlases capture broad patterns useful at the regional scale, they should be field validated and used with caution at the local scale.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShapiro-Miller, Lauren B.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Morgan, Penelope. 2007. Comparison of fire scars, fire atlases, and satellite data in the northwestern United States. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 37: 1933-1943.
Keywordsdigital fire atlases, fire scars, records
- Northern Rockies pyrogeography: An example of fire atlas utility
- Multi-season climate synchronized forest fires throughout the 20th century, Northern Rockies, USA
- Twentieth-century fire patterns in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area, Idaho/Montana, and the Gila/Aldo Leopold Wilderness Complex, New Mexico
XML: View XML