Skip to Main Content
Is this truly an international journal? [Editorial]Author(s): William M. Block
Source: Journal of Wildlife Management. 71: 2119.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (30.38 KB)
DescriptionAlthough the Journal includes papers on species and habitats occurring in different countries and on different continents, and authors are from various places, we question whether or not it is truly an international journal. Our reasoning here is simple and straightforward. We received a fair number of submissions from across the globe. We see the same proportion of these manuscripts based on sound science and addressing appropriate topics as we see for manuscripts originating from the United States. However, fewer papers from outside countries are ultimately published. Why is this so? The reason is simple. English is rarely the primary language for many foreign authors, and it is reflected in their writing. Often the writing is so rough we return the manuscripts to the authors before even sending them out for review. Note that we do not single out foreign authors as we return shoddy manuscripts to U.S. authors too. Bottom line is that we simply cannot expect Associate Editors and reviewers to review manuscripts they cannot understand. We try to work with foreign authors as best we can, but we rarely have the time or person-power to provide the intensive editing these manuscripts require. The net result is that we often miss opportunities to publish good sciencejust because of a language barrier.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBlock, William M. 2007. Is this truly an international journal? [Editorial]. Journal of Wildlife Management. 71: 2119.
Keywordsmanuscripts, information, editorial processes
- Journal of Wildlife Management guidelines
- Editorial: By the time you read this ...
- Getting it right [Editorial]
XML: View XML