Skip to Main Content
POM-assisted electrochemical delignification and bleaching of chemical pulpAuthor(s): Helene Laroche; Mohini Sain; Carl Houtman; Claude Daneault
Source: Cellulose chemistry and technology. Vol. 35, nos. 5-6 (2001): Pages 503-511.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (316 KB)
DescriptionA polyoxometalate-catalyzed electrochemical process has shown good selectivity in delignifying pulp. This breakthrough in redox catalysis shows promise for the development of a new environmentally benign technology for pulp bleaching. The electrochemical process, applied with a mildly alkaline electrolyte solution containing trace amounts of a vanadium-based polyoxometalate, K5[SiVW11O40], decreased the kappa number of a softwood Kraft pulp by about 40% without significant change in the viscosity of the pulp. In a similar electrochemical process, a softwood semi-bleached Kraft pulp was further bleached to a high brightness pulp, above 85% ISO, by electrolysing a borax-based electrolyte activated with tetraacetylethylenediamine in a pulp suspension.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLaroche, Helene; Sain, Mohini; Houtman, Carl; Daneault, Claude. 2001. POM-assisted electrochemical delignification and bleaching of chemical pulp. Cellulose chemistry and technology. Vol. 35, nos. 5-6 (2001): Pages 503-511.
KeywordsWood pulp, viscosity, vanadium, electrochemistry, sulphate pulping process, polyoxometalates, bleaching, pulping, chemical reactions, catalysis, lignin, oxidation, hydrogen, ion exchange, tetraacetylenediamine, softwoods, pulp and paper processes, pulp, delignification, brightness, chemical pulp, electrochemistry
- Electrochemical delignification of wood pulp using polyoxometalate mediators
- Polyoxometalates in oxidative delignification of chemical pulps: effect on lignin
- Composition of the organic components in polyxometalate (POM) liquors from kraft pulp bleaching
XML: View XML